This course examines the real political use of literature, music, and performance in the context of colonization, the Cold War, the rise of a \"new world order,\" and globalization. As such, it makes no claim to be nonpartisan, and has no interest in either celebration or critique. The course is concerned with music that promotes \"isms\" (narrow interest in specific groups) as well as music that presents a platform for resistance and political discourse.
One of the most widely read and influential dramas in English-speaking culture has been Macbeth. This tragedy has engaged readers, critics, and artists for hundreds of years. Despite its popularity, however, scholars have only very recently begun to interrogate the play on its own terms, rather than simply using it as a vessel for further readings of Shakespeare. In this course, we will attempt to address the complexities of Macbeth from its own perspective in order to deepen our discussions of the play. We will begin with a carefully selected and organized set of works from diverse literatures, which will be considered in a way that allows us to critically engage with the play from various perspectives, including various forms of comedy, fantasy, and tragedy. We will then see how the play has been used for a wide range of political purposes, including nationalistic struggles that politicize the body, exoticization and colonization, and anti-fascist struggles.
Students will devote 75% of the course to regular class study, including regular class discussions, reading sets, an assignment, and a comprehensive written exam or exam substitute. The remaining 25% of the course is devoted to an optional, capstone research project of your choice. You will be expected to develop a research question related to the study of the recovery of memory. You may choose to present an oral project, a poster, or both.
The Politics major offers four choices of capstone course, all of which count as a political science course. All are required to graduate. You may take them in the order you wish, but you must take a minimum of one in order to earn a major in politics. 7211a4ac4a